“No one in my family has ever had a job” is a stark statement and one that certainly highlights the challenges that can be faced in assisting the long term unemployed into the work force. Asking an individual to set goals, or outline positive employment examples is complicated when they have been out of work for a significant period of time or indeed when unemployment crosses generations.
Reclink Australia see work readiness programs as a crucial component to the development of our participants. For some participants, engaging in a Reclink Australia work readiness program is the culmination of a number of steps that they have taken in order to rebuild their life, for others it is the first, but important, step in gaining the skills and experience that will assist them to gain employment.
Reclink Australia employs a number of guiding principles that have driven positive outcomes for participants and the communities in which the programs operate, the principles include:
- A person-centric approach.
- A focus on skill development.
- Identifying projects that allow for further skill development in areas of employment growth.
- Goal setting and ‘soft skill’ development for participants built into projects.
- Community Capacity building - Identifying projects that are responsive to community needs and provide meaningful and often necessary additions to existing community organisation service delivery.
In the past year, our Queensland work readiness programs have continued to grow and as a result so too has the work readiness work force of site supervisors and coordinators. Importantly, a number of staff that have come directly from the Reclink Australia work readiness program, providing participants with positive employment examples.
The programs have played an important role in building the capacity of local communities. Reclink Australia invest time into identifying projects that will match opportunities for skill growth for participants with specific needs within communities. Examples of programs include;
- Community garden developments,
- Playground facilities for children with a disability,
- Disability Access Ramps, and
- Music recording studios.
Developing skills and experience are an important component in assisting an individual transform their life.